Friday, September 23, 2011

Two Week Follow up Surprise

I forgot to post about my two week follow-up appointment, so I'm tackling it over lunch today!

Tuesday was a surprise. I thought that since I had gotten my splints taken out the week prior, that it was just going to be the doctor looking up my nose, saying ok you're good, and I'd be on my way. Not the case.

I arrived and followed the friendly nurse back. She sat me down and says "I am going to spray some of this numbing agent into your nostrils." Shit. She sprayed, and it didn't feel like anything was coming out at first, just air. I should have gotten a bitter taste in the back of my mouth, and didn't. So I had her spray some more. This time I felt liquid in my right nostril, but not my left. So I was a little nervous that it wasn't going to get numb.

The nurse then explained that the doctor was going to come in and remove some crusting. She asked me if I had taken a pain pill that day. Well, no. I wasn't expecting to get more nose-raping.

Anyway, the doctor came in and let me know what he would be doing, and my nose still didn't feel numb. The nurse started bringing in his tools, which were similar to the tools used to remove the splints, except there was one that was long and skinny, it had to be about twelve inches long. What the hell is that going to be used for?!?

When I told the Doc that my nose still didn't feel numb, he sprayed me some more and then left the room for a few minutes for it to set in. When he came back, the fun began. He took the super long thin tool, which was actually a scope with a little light on it, and began to peer into my nose with it. Very strange feeling. I imagined it going right through to my brain when he had it into my nose, it seemed to go in pretty far.

Luckily, he informed me that my nose was looking great and there was minimal crusting! Oh cool, I though, maybe I won't need to have anything removed! He grabbed his tweezers and said he was going to remove a chunk from the left nostril. Dammit. With my fear of not being numb enough, and him sticking more metal up my nose, I was frozen stiff as he began. He got up in there and grabbed the crust. I felt a good amount of pressure but no pain. Yay, it actually was numb! The only way I can describe what it felt like when he pulled the crust off is like having an embedded pea removed from inside my face. It was like a hole opened up in my nasal passages.

As he pulled it all the way out, I felt sick. It was the most disgusting thing ever. I was of course staring straight down at my nose, and saw it as it came out. It was black, covered in snot, and waaay bigger then I thought it would be. Realistically it was probably the size of a smushed pea, but staring at it from two inches away it looked like a grape!

Ok, so thankfully that was over. He inspected the other nostril once more and says "Well now that I look again, there is a small crust here." So he had to go back in. I felt prepared. He went in with the tweezers, and wasn't able to grab it because it was around a corner a bit. He swapped the tweezers out for a curved suction device, and sucked it out quickly. Not as bad as the removal of the other crust.

I tipped my head forward, glad that it was over. The doctor started talking, and I felt light-headed immediately. As he spoke, my field of vision started going to black. I announced that I felt like I was going to pass out, and he jumped to action laying the chair back, raising my legs up, and getting me a cold compress. Response speed was great! I also started really feeling like I was going to throw up. I had never come that close to passing out before, so I didn't know what to expect.

I lied there for a few minutes, and they took care of me until I felt better. That meant laying down for a bit, giving me animal crackers, and an apple juice. After a while, I was so glad my stomach calmed down. Vomiting is my LEAST favorite thing.

The Doctor was great, checked on me a few times to make sure I was feeling better, and the nurse was sweet enough to walk me out of the back of the office. I had to sit down half way to my car, but I made it there and was glad. Success! My plan was to get food immediately, as I had a very small breakfast, and go back to work. And sit.

By the time I got home, I could breathe even more easily then I had been before the appointment. My nose has been very clear and comfortably dry since Monday, only drippy and snotty when I use the sinus rinse.

I have gone back to doing my regular routine, not being as careful when washing my face, and allowing tap water to get on and around it. Before I was washing it very gently with a tissue or a hand towel.

So two weeks and three days later, my breathing has improved by at least 25%, which is major if you have had breathing problems for basically your whole life. My nose still has some tenderness, so I am still being very careful. Things like wearing sunglasses make it ache. The stiffness is going away, probably since I have been doing more things like wiggling it a bit and touching it more. I also was having some very slight front teeth pain, and that seems to be fading away. My sense of smell is a lot more powerful every now and then, which is a good and bad thing lol. It seems like my sense of taste gets heightened every now and then as well. Not consistently.

It keeps getting better and better! My next update will probably be in two weeks. We are going on a four day trip to Jamaica, so it will be interesting to see how my nose does when in a really humid environment, on a plane, and swimming!

Stay tuned....

10 comments:

  1. I didn't take any this time unfortunately :(. I probably would have thrown up if I took the time to, so gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An update would be fabulous! I'm sitting outside in my car waiting for my 2 week post op follow up.... Eeeeek.... Please not 'Crust' removal!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this summary. I'm on my day #5, with splints removal scheduled for #8.

    Also, if by any chance you're still reading this years later - how about a followup? Did the effect persist? Was it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Just got mine repaired this morning. It was great to have a day-by-day account of what you went through. I appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Thank you for an informative post.Indeed Rhinoplasty surgery takes lot of time to recover.for more information about rhinoplasty visit site given below.septoplasty india

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this blog. I am on day #1 and currently in hospital after having septoplasty and turbinectomy. Had a single dose of morphine in recovery and now just on round-the-clock paracetamol. No nausea. Just moderate sinus and headache pain.
    Splints to be removed on day #7, which I'm looking forward to as I can't wait to breathe properly! It's going to help with my sleep quality, exercise and capacity to sing. My singing teacher is curious to see if it changes my voice tone and breath flow at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Thank you for an informative article! keep doing good work! Can someone tell me How much does septoplasty cost?septoplasty cost

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your blog; I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog. Get the best Septoplasty surgery in India at KAS Medical Center. (http://www.bestrhinoplastyindia.com/)

    ReplyDelete